Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hotaru no haka

I was channel surfing tonight and I happened upon this film: Hotaru no haka or Grave of the Fireflies, 1989, by Isao Takahata. I can honestly say it's probably the most heart wrenching film I have ever seen. I missed the beginning...maybe as a whole film it's not so horrifying. It's a Japanese animated film about a 14 year old boy and his 4 year old sister in 1945 war torn Kobe. Their parents die and they must try to survive on their own. It did win awards and it was a beautiful and touching movie but if you watch it, be prepared to cry your eyes out. Apparently when it was first released in Japan, it was as a double feature with Tonari no Totoro,"because it was thought that this film was so depressing that a cheerful companion film was needed to lift the audience's spirits"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home